As of 12:01am on Thursday, February 26th, pot became legal in the special district known as Washington, DC — the home of leaders of this great nation and the capitol of the US of A. Initiative 71, which states that it is now legal to indulge in smoking and growing marijuana for recreational purposes, was approved. But before you rip your shirt off and start running around acting like there are no rules or start writing letters and petitioning to have this stopped, let me put things into perspective for you.
- You still cannot walk down the street passing a joint around; you will get arrested. Washington, DC leads the nation in arrests for marijuana possession. Keep it at home.
- You are only allowed to have up to 2 ounces at a time and you can only cultivate up to 6 plants in your home, with no more than 3 being mature.
- It is still illegal to call your weed man. You have to grow your own or someone has to give it to you with no monetary exchange.
- No more than 12 plants may be grown in a single house or rental. Adults may possess all of the cannabis grown by those plants at the same location. So no matter how many adults are in the house, there is a limit.
- Adults are considered 21 and over.
Now that you know the facts, how do you feel about it? Currently, in 20 states and DC, its use has been approved for medical purposes, and in 3 states and DC it is legal for recreational purposes. Pretty soon all states will be on board. It has many names: Marijuana, Cannabis, Weed, Pot, Ganja, and Mary Jane to name a few, and there are countless strains of it. Depending on where and how it is grown, will determine if it is going to make you a lazy, greedy and a lethargic mess or if you are going to laugh uncontrollably at something that only you understand, and talking for hours about how good your pet’s hair feels when you pet them and why. It can be energizing, causing you to hold focus on something for hours, and it can elevate your senses to new heights, making lights brighter and colors pop, food is deliciously decadent, and all is good in the world. You can smoke it, brew it and cook it to benefit from its effects.
Research has proven that marijuana has many benefits, and it is being embraced by millions as the new wonder herb. It is helping people battle over 200 ailments from glaucoma to cancer, and the list of possible life threatening side effects are significantly lower than 100% of the approved drugs on the market today.
So, whether you are for or against it, Mary Jane isn’t going anywhere. It’s a weed and you know how hard it is to get rid of weeds. From a spiritual point of view, with the right strain and a little quiet time, who knows what your mind can tap into and release. With responsible consumption it might be just what the doctor ordered.
Happy Friday…put your lighters up.
Words to live by from Ky